Lady Gaga apologizes for R. Kelly collaboration - WFMJ.com News weather sports for Youngstown-Warren Ohio

Lady Gaga apologizes for R. Kelly collaboration

Posted: Updated:

NEW YORK (AP) - Lady Gaga is sorry for her 2013 duet with R. Kelly in the wake of sexual misconduct allegations against the singer, and she intends to remove the song from streaming services.

"What I am hearing about the allegations against R. Kelly is absolutely horrifying and indefensible," she said.

Posting on social media on Wednesday, Gaga wrote that she had collaborated with Kelly on "Do What U Want (With My Body)" during a "dark time" in her life as a victim of sexual assault. She said she should have sought therapy or other help instead.

"I think it's clear how explicitly twisted my thinking was at the time. If I could go back and have a talk with my younger self I'd tell her to go through the therapy I have since then so that I could understand the confused post-traumatic state that I was in," she wrote. "I can't go back, but I can go forward and continue to support women, men, and people of all sexual identities, and of all races, who are victims of sexual assault."

Lifetime's "Surviving R. Kelly" series, which aired this month, has brought renewed attention to the singer's history and allegations that he has sexually abused women and girls. Kelly has denied wrongdoing and in 2008 was acquitted on child pornography charges.

Gaga's collaboration with Kelly had been intensely criticized when it was released, in part because of the allegations against him and because of the sexually charged performances they did on "Saturday Night Live" and the American Music Awards in 2013. The video was directed by Terry Richardson, who also had been accused of sexual misconduct; it was never officially released, but depicts Kelly as a doctor ogling a naked Gaga, the patient.

Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • Hot ClicksHot ClicksMore>>

  • Defiant vigil starts healing in New Zealand after massacre

    Defiant vigil starts healing in New Zealand after massacre

    Monday, March 18 2019 2:12 PM EDT2019-03-18 18:12:27 GMT
    (AP Photo/Vincent Yu). Mourners hug after paying their respects to the victims near the Masjid Al Noor mosque in Christchurch, New Zealand, Monday, March 18, 2019. A steady stream of mourners paid tribute at makeshift memorial to the 50 people slain by...(AP Photo/Vincent Yu). Mourners hug after paying their respects to the victims near the Masjid Al Noor mosque in Christchurch, New Zealand, Monday, March 18, 2019. A steady stream of mourners paid tribute at makeshift memorial to the 50 people slain by...
    (AP Photo/Vincent Yu). Mourners hug after paying their respects to the victims near the Masjid Al Noor mosque in Christchurch, New Zealand, Monday, March 18, 2019. A steady stream of mourners paid tribute at makeshift memorial to the 50 people slain by...(AP Photo/Vincent Yu). Mourners hug after paying their respects to the victims near the Masjid Al Noor mosque in Christchurch, New Zealand, Monday, March 18, 2019. A steady stream of mourners paid tribute at makeshift memorial to the 50 people slain by...
    Families of the 50 people killed in the Christchurch mosque shootings are enduring an increasingly agonizing wait for the bodies of victims to be released as New Zealand reeled from the unprecedented tragedy.More >>
    Families of the 50 people killed in the Christchurch mosque shootings are enduring an increasingly agonizing wait for the bodies of victims to be released as New Zealand reeled from the unprecedented tragedy.More >>
  • New Zealand's darkest day: 36 minutes of terror

    New Zealand's darkest day: 36 minutes of terror

    Monday, March 18 2019 2:12 PM EDT2019-03-18 18:12:06 GMT
    (Abdi Ibrahim via AP, File). FILE - This undated file photo supplied by Abdi Ibrahim, shows his 3-year-old brother, Mucaad Ibrahim, the youngest known victim of the March 15, 2019, mass shooting in Christchurch, New Zealand. Mucaad Ibrahim had big brow...(Abdi Ibrahim via AP, File). FILE - This undated file photo supplied by Abdi Ibrahim, shows his 3-year-old brother, Mucaad Ibrahim, the youngest known victim of the March 15, 2019, mass shooting in Christchurch, New Zealand. Mucaad Ibrahim had big brow...
    (Abdi Ibrahim via AP, File). FILE - This undated file photo supplied by Abdi Ibrahim, shows his 3-year-old brother, Mucaad Ibrahim, the youngest known victim of the March 15, 2019, mass shooting in Christchurch, New Zealand. Mucaad Ibrahim had big brow...(Abdi Ibrahim via AP, File). FILE - This undated file photo supplied by Abdi Ibrahim, shows his 3-year-old brother, Mucaad Ibrahim, the youngest known victim of the March 15, 2019, mass shooting in Christchurch, New Zealand. Mucaad Ibrahim had big brow...
    The attack on two mosques in New Zealand was 36 minutes of terror, telegraphed by a chilling email sent by Brenton Tarrant.More >>
    The attack on two mosques in New Zealand was 36 minutes of terror, telegraphed by a chilling email sent by Brenton Tarrant.More >>
  • Gunman kills 3 on Dutch tram, mayor says terror likely

    Gunman kills 3 on Dutch tram, mayor says terror likely

    Monday, March 18 2019 2:11 PM EDT2019-03-18 18:11:56 GMT
    Police in the central city of Utrecht say on Twitter that "multiple" people have been injured as a result of a shooting in a tram in a residential neighborhood.More >>
    Police in the central city of Utrecht say on Twitter that "multiple" people have been injured as a result of a shooting in a tram in a residential neighborhood.More >>
Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2019 WFMJ. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms